The refurbishment of the grounds of the city centre museum in the centre of Coventry. The design of the public spaces complemented the addition of a new Creative Industries wing designed by Haworth Tomkins. The materials used are locally distinctive and sympathetic to the original 1950’s building; red sandstone, commonly used in the neighbouring historic architecture, with coloured concrete.
The new entrance to the museum re-located to West Street opposite Coventry Cathedral is marked by a red sandstone carpet with evergreen hedges and tall grasses. Sculpture from the gallery has been sited amongst the planting. The public square to the east is restored with red sandstone ovals, cut to hand drawings, to create an outdoor performance and arts space.
A red stone ramp for improved access is introduced to the performance square. A herb garden replaces the rose garden and sculptures from the Museums collection are re-sited within the garden.
Coventry City Council Accessibility Award, 2006
Client: Coventry City Council
Architect: Haworth Tomkins